Follow thatsrye on Twitter RyE on Ego Trippin Part 1 ~ The Life & Times

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Thursday, June 18, 2009

RyE on Ego Trippin Part 1

"Follow my steps is the road to success"
*Where the niggaz know you're thorough when the girls say yes (yes!)
But I can't teach you my swag
...
You can pay for school but you can't buy class*
*Jay-Z


This goes out to A Beautiful Mind....

I'm stepping out of my comfort zone right now to just freestyle my thoughts as I begin to wonder if people understand the value of the word respect.

I've been in this industry only what...4 years? Already I feel like an O.G, a Vet, a Senior Varsity, a Kobe going for his fourth ring. I worked HARD everyday to get where I am. My path was not conventional. Did I want success? Did I want the accolades? Did I want the recognition? Did I want it more than the other person? You damn right I did.

Did I think it was going to be easy? Did I think that if I worked the hardest I could at the minimum hours that I would coast? Did I think that I was better than everyone? Did I think I was too good for what I was doing? Did I think talking back would somehow prove how much of a man I am? Fuck no.

Let me tell you the difference between you and me. And by you I mean all those who came after me.

The difference is.... I put in work day in and night out. I kept my eyes open and listened to everything. I LEARNED the BUSINESS, and RESPECTED everyone who came my way. I didn't run my mouth just to make my voice heard. Every move was calculated, every action was thought out 5 steps ahead. Use your head before flapping your gums with that "I'm better than this" nonsense.

The reality check is.... you're not. In fact you are more than replaceable. You are insignificant. You didn't even get the job the first time around. You were sloppy seconds. An afterthought. A last resort in an ever revolving door that many before you in your position have come and gone, only to amount to a 1/3 of what I have accomplished.

The difference is.....I am LEGIT. First day I was welcomed.. with a smile on her face followed by a dead serious face...to hell. Two months later I was forced to pick up her accounts and do a job with no preparation. Six months in and I'm forced back to a role that you think you are above. Six months after that (That's 1 yr later for you keeping score) a CEO of a worldwide industry leading company calls me to offer me a position on their #1 account.

The reality check is...I don't even know your number. I don't know your email address. I don't know your fax number. You say you are better than what you do well tell me what you have done. I can count how many times you came through when she was gone. ZERO. You are such a joke its pathetic. I don't even bother trying to look for answers when shes gone because in all honesty I don't see any credibility in you.

The difference is....I am credible and I have stats to back it up. Ask your boy who co-signed for you. Where would his career be without me? Folding jeans in the stock room and working the late shift. Another hot shot too big for his own ego who even retracted his co-sign of you the second time around. Put the pieces of the puzzle together and I guess you realize that if it wasn't for me you both would be right back to being Gay And Proud. Ask your boss who set the waves in motion for the woman you work under back with that company. Then ask her how I increased your company's sales by 200% so you can enjoy your summer Fridays you lazy fuck. Ask anyone in this industry who I am and they'll tell you I am the real deal...but then again,

The reality check is... you don't even know who would listen to you besides your sad excuse of a boss. What's your track record? How much did you sell? How much weight do you hold? Nothing but dead weight and thats a problem.

The difference is... I'm a problem solver. NO task is insurmountable. No issue that can't be resolved. I FIX million dollar problems. I RESTORED the Mid/West region and put that on the map. When my director couldn't cut it anymore I inherited a 5 year problem and turned it around in less than a year.

The reality check is... I can go on for days with this so let me stop here.

See you and everyone on the come up all want everything handed to you all giftwrapped. You think that your better than what is in front of you. What you need to learn is how to be humble and respect those above you and who came before you. Even my own successor was plagued by that ego. After putting a mere 6 months into the job he felt he learned everything he needed to know. 2 and a half years later and he JUST made it to the other side. And 9 months after he succeeded me he birthed your ass and where have you been? Right where I was 4 years ago.

Does that upset you? Lets look at the bright side; Unlike your boy, at least you don't always have to hear comparisons about yourself to me. The ironic thing about ALL this is that what you both failed to seem to embrace is the one single common denominator in my success...her beautiful mind.

Instead of thinking your better than her maybe you should pick that brain of hers and learn something. To this DAY I haven't stopped asking her questions. No matter where I am or what position I may be in I will forever be her protege and she will be my mentor. I don't bite the hand that feeds me. I was man enough to own up to my mistakes. I was big enough to swallow my pride and listen to how to do things in a different way. I played my role. And in return I EARNED respect. I earned their trust. I earned their credibility.

Patience is a wonderful virtue. And you may say that I rose quickly through the ranks so I didn't need to be patient. Well maybe if you just put your ego to the side and stopped demanding things...they will just come to you. Ever think of that?

*All these niggaz taking credit for the work that I put in
If you really put me on put yourself on then
*






1 comments:

Tiffany C. said...

either you are really really comfortable stepping outside of your comfort zone... or your comfort zone is closer then you think.. Either way, this was a great read... well written... and much appreciated.

You're the best.

Post a Comment

 
Follow thatsrye on Twitter