Follow thatsrye on Twitter RyE On In Case You Forgot ~ The Life & Times

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

RyE On In Case You Forgot

As I've taken time off from my career and everything else in life I've been spending some time putting my apt together. This is my first piece of property that I own and for almost 2 years that I have lived here it's been missing the "Rye" element to it. Too many hi tech gadgets and basic furniture but no "life" t0 it. So I decided that on my time off that I will put into my place what I had in my old dungeon of a room at my parents house.

Going through old and new stuff and bringing it into my place was like taking me back in time and realizing what a wonderful life I have. Reading some old letters and finding old photos made me also realize that I am almost the same person I was when I was a kid as I am a man today.

I realize I don't normally update my blog on "current events in my life" so let me just give you a quick snapshot of the last oh 5 months? (Deep breath)

In June I quit my old job of 4 years to go to a new company where I would be leading their new Digital Outdoor Advertising company. It was everything I wanted from a career perspective but my health had other plans. My UC started acting up again and I was in an out of the hospital that whole first month. I would go to work M-F and leave Friday to go straight to the hospital to get blood transfusions. I did this for about three weeks. On the fourth week I didn't quite make it to the hospital...I passed out on the street due to loss of blood and was admitted for a fourth week.

I got better...traveled for my job...traveled to MTK...spent a wonderful summer with my friends where I beached it up almost every weekend and surfed. I got to see both coasts and everything in between in a matter of 3 weeks talking and consulting for my job. I was making money and spending money. I met douchebags and millionaires that I never thought I would ever meet. I had my heart broken, confused, brought back to life, and then broken all again.

Then came September as I was about to end the month with my last Nationwide tour presentation and once again my UC started to rear its ugly head. One more time to the hospital. I was there for one week on a liquid diet. I quit my new job to refocus on myself. A Colorful Mind kept me focused on not giving up. That Colorful Mind also finally met my family and all of them from my mothers to fathers side (ah!). All my friends from BK to the Boogie Down and heck even Jersey came to see me while I was laid up in there. With my family and friends I have a great support system and know that my life is worth living.

BUT because you (yes I'm talking to myself) are so damn stubborn sometimes let me remind you in case you forgot.

2000 Senior Retreat Polancas:
To my dearest Ryan,
It is so hard for me to start writing this letter because I do not know where to begin. Well I guess the first thing I want to tell you is to congratulate you. You are now in your senior year and a year from now you will already be in college. It seems just yesterday when you first started school in Pre K at St. Mary's Nativity School and you won't let us leave you in school. You felt so scared and insecure but as days past you felt more and more secure and had self-confidence. Like what your teacher said she saw you got out of the shell. From that time on and up to now I can't believe all the great accomplishments you have done. I know these are just eh beginning for you and you will have more and will have a great future coming ahead of you. Forgive me if I have not said it in so many words that I am so proud of you. And I really do mean it. I know you think I am only after you getting high grades in school, because I constantly tell you to study and to make sure that all your homework is complete. I did that because I love you and I do not want you to regret later. Now you see the fruit of all the heard work you have done. But as you know this is just the beginning. Next year you will be in college and it is time for you to have to make a hard decision of what you really want to do. Well just remember whatever decision you choose to do we will always be behind you and have our full support.
We are so busy, excited, happy preparing for your college application but when it is time for you to leave for college I really do not know what to do. You and your sister have brought joy to our life. Ryan my dear son, as I always say please do take care of yourself especially when you are ready to leave on your own. Another thing please never forget to pray and thank GOD for all the blessing HE has given you and your family.

Love always,
Mom

Dr. Ramon M. _______, MD
September 24, 2000

To my Son Ryan,

It is hard to realize that time has gone so fast. Senior year is here and college is not that far. It will be time for you to make hard decisions. As you have always made it clear to us you have to make it your own and you would not need our help. I guess you have done that since you were small. You made your own choices and there was no way we could change it.

You are your own man now and I guess it has to be this way. I would just want you to know that we are always here when ever you need us or need our help. We stand behind you in every way and in any situation no matter how critical they may be.

Just as we have spent so many happy moment, I know we will share more as you leave to go to College. We know you will do what is best and we have full confidence in you. The basic lessons you have learned from us and from school assure us that you will find success in anything you do.

You have been a joy to us and I would confess I will be in tears when you leave us. My son Ryan, do take care of yourself.

Your Dad

Thanks Mom & Dad. I must have forgotten but I know now that no matter what I do with my life I have you both to lean on. I'm ready to be everything you both know I can achieve.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Follow thatsrye on Twitter