Follow thatsrye on Twitter RyE On Superman ~ The Life & Times

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

RyE On Superman


A couple of weeks ago there was this Comic Con in NYC. Big day for all the comic "geeks" out there to meet the almighty Stan Lee. I don't have too many comic geek friends around me with the exception of one little lady. And while I don't necessarily call myself a comic geek in today's standards (simply because I don't really know anything current going on with comics) I am still a big comic book enthusiast.

I grew up collecting comic cards at first with my cousin Katherine. She use to take me to Mike's Comic book shop on Northern Blvd every Tues/Weds to get the latest issues and trading cards. I had a binder with plastic little slots for all my Marvel Superhero's. It was actually my first true hobby in life. The cards spun onto collecting comics and getting lost in the world of fantasy. I wasn't a big DC guy (Batman, Superman for all you non comic followers) but I definitely knew of their history. I was more a Marvel Guy and loved all the characters they had from X-Men, to The Avengers, Thor, Captain America, and most of all Spider-Man.

As a kid I spent evvvvery penny I had to buy my comic books. My collection was pretty thorough. Sadly I don't know if they are in great condition as they have been locked away in my parents garage for storage since before I left high school. Maybe I'll go pick it out and relive some of my past stories.

Comics were an escape for me as a kid. I grew a very special correlation to Spider-Man. Skinny little boy from Queens raised by his Aunt May and Uncle Ben. Classic nerd in school picked on by bullies because he wasn't as big or as popular. However despite all the angst of childhood adolescents he still managed to be himself and get the girl next door (who just so happens to be smooooking ha). Oh yea and he gets bitten by a radioactive spider and becomes this super hero that sometimes get's in the way of his normal life...great stuff.

Point is that as an adult I still myself clinging onto these great fantasy worlds. I get excited when a Comic movie comes out. I try and see how true they are to the stories I read as a kid. I get upset when they don't follow it to a tee. I mentioned as a kid I was really into Spider-Man (still am) but as an adult I find myself more linked to Superman. Ironically enough a lot of my friends and family (not always in a good way) refer me to Superman. I always thought as a kid he was actually pretty lame because he was too powerful. I know he has Kryptonite but for the most part homey was invincible and nothing seemed too hard on the guy. I guess as a kid I couldn't relate to that so I was turned off by his cookie cutter mold.

However there is this show called Smallville that I have watched for the last 10 seasons (shhhhh). It tells the story of Clark Kent (I do hope you know who I am talking about) and how he turns into the legend we all know as Superman. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a comic fan but this series is awesome. Going into it's final 10th season it has stayed true (for the most part) to telling the story of Clark and not Superman. That meant no flying, no cape, and no reference to the name Superman.

This season is slightly different since it's the series finale. It's bringing everything full circle in order to lead up to that whole cape and flying Superman we all know today. This last episode really stood out for me as one of the best ones I saw. It was the turning point for Clark to realize his destiny to be the hero that we all know he will be. After watching this episode and the 9 seasons prior I realized that Superman did NOT have it that easy. That he struggled to balance this God like ability among humans which in turn made him all that more human.

I mentioned that those close to me sometimes refer me to Superman...or that I try too hard to be everything to everyone at all times. That is by default one of my many "downfalls." Not that it's so bad but I think it's taken its toll on me. I try to do everything the right way and be there for everyone without any thought or regard to my own. And by no means do I think that I regret anything or even would change it if I could. No everything I am today is because of what I have experienced in the past, right or wrong.

There was so many great things from this homecoming/flashback episode that I could relate to.

1) Embracing your fate:

Brainiac 5: Why won't you forgive yourself?
Clark: He didn't have a choice. He's my father, of course he'd sacrifice anything to protect me.
Brainiac 5: We always have a choice, Kal-El. Your father didn't have to care for you the way he did. Yet still he made that choice every day he was with you. He chose to be your protector. Just as you've chosen to be the Earth's protector. Nobody forced that on you, yet you embraced it. Nobody made that choice for you. We all chose our own fate.


Anyone who knows me, knows that I have put the burden of my family onto my shoulders. I worry about not being able to live up to their expectations as a man to provide. Yet I know that they don't put this on me. It is I who chose to take this responsibility and I who embraces it. Knowing this now though I realize that it is up to me to decide on what I want to do with my life and how I see fit.


2) Perfection:


Brainiac 5: The darkness is the past. And you hold onto it and you dwell. You punish yourself and everyone around you for past mistakes.
Clark: I don't have the privilege of mistakes. Even if we don't expect perfection, the rest of the world does. You heard what they said.
Brainiac 5: Then help Oliver be who he can be. Today, tomorrow. Be there for him now, and stop punishing him for his past with your silence and your distance. Let it go.


This is a double edged sword for me. For one I strive for perfection because I felt like everyone around me expects it. And much like the dialogue I too hold onto my past mistakes in order not to go through them again. This is when it comes to anything, love, life choices, career choices. I guarded myself from these mistakes and only hurt myself and others in the process because I never let anyone in. As for the second part in which Brainiac is telling Clark to be Oliver's friend I can relate to that. When things don't go my way or I feel a certain disconnect in how my friends go about their life I tend to cut them off. I don't do anything but keep my distance. I never realized how doing that only hurt myself in the process.

3) Lois Lane or Lana Lang

Maddy: Wait. So, you're not hitched to Clark?
Lois: Not exactly.
Maddy: Are you engaged?
Lois: No.
Maddy: Oh. How long have you been seeing each other?
Lois: Well, we're... not, really. Right now.
Maddy: So, you're the moth, not the flame.


This is every comic boy geeks thing....THE GIRL! For Spider-Man/Peter Parker it was Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy. Jean Grey even had Wolverine or Cyclops. And Superman had Lana and Lois. The reality of finding your true love is always something that any person can relate to. In life you come across great people who at the time you may think is THE ONE but until your last day you never know who was the one. In comics it's pretty spelled out for you so it takes that air of mystery out.

In this scene it's funny because Lana Lang was Clark's first true love and Lois hasn't been revealed to be the one even though we all know that Lois and Clark are meant to be. As cheesy as it may seem I feel like I've met my Lana...I just need to find my Lois. Or maybe I already have and like this scene...she just doesn't know it yet. (Editors note: Lois is totally the flame ha)

4) Hero


TV Reporter: I think our audience would like some answers.
Oliver: I lost someone. She meant everything to me.
TV Reporter: So, for that you want, what, a merit badge and special rights?
Oliver: No. No, you're right, I'm not special. This isn't about who I am, it's about what I do. And--and I don't think I'm the first rich boy who felt that way. It was John F. Kennedy who once said, "Ask not who what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."
TV Reporter: So now you're comparing yourself to a fallen hero of this country?
Oliver: Well, why not? He saw the hero in all of us. I'm not dwelling on revenge for past atrocities, or looking ahead to what I can gain from a few tax breaks. Drilling oil wells in the ocean, putting up razor wire fences to keep out immigrants who only want what our grandparents wanted. In this world of armchair bloggers who created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here, right now, for the city. For my country. And I'm not doing it alone. You're damned right I'm a hero.


I love the last lines. I firmly believe that there are too many talkers out there in this world. Too many people speaking their minds and not doing anything to back it up. I'm not much of a talker (despite this blog). I don't like tooting my own horn and expecting a parade for my accolades. I just want to do. And I want to do right. I need to embrace the fact that I am everything that I know I can be. I am a leader. It's proven and its a fact that in every situation I take that role. I'm not going to shy away from it because I'm afraid of what others think. And instead of feeling like my abilities will overshadow others I'm going to inspire people to do the same. To challenge me to be a better person so that I'm not alone in leaving my mark on this world.




Clark: I guess you're right. I've been so buried by the mistakes of my past, so worried about the responsibilities of the future, I lost sight of the present.
Brainiac 5: A hero is made in the moment. Not from questioning the past or fearing what's to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Follow thatsrye on Twitter